Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Identity in eternity

One of the biggest problems that humanity struggle with is identity. Many wars have been fought and many relationships have been destroyed in humanity's drive for identity and recognition.Nationalism, patriotism, the gang-culture and racial pride are all manifestations of this search for identity.The apostle Paul explained the roots of humanity's identity like this; "Long before he laid down earth's foundations,he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love, to be made whole and holy by his love. Long, long ago he decided to adopt us into his family through Jesus Christ."(Ephesians 1:4)
The implications of this truth are magnificent; before God created any atom, molecule or galaxy he had His focus on humanity; before we did anything wrong or right for that matter, our Father has already made up His mind about us;before anything evil was done to me by someone I trusted, He has already decided that I would be a success because His Son was the "prototype", the original,the pattern, the true Human,see Genesis 1:26.In Jesus we see our original design and in union with Him we live fully human again!In Christ we have entered the realm of eternity; we entered the order of Melchizedek who has no beginning and no end; we have entered the realm of the One known as the Alpha and the Omega! I have no past but Christ, I have no future but Christ and He is also my present!
My identity and self-worth are not dependant on race,status,gender or achievements in the corporate world, but was determined in eternity when God decided my destiny as a human being. He decided that I would be born into this material world to reflect His image and glory(opinion). With this new perspective on my origin and identity I realise that everything that happens to me has a redemptive purpose; in other words they only serve to push me to my true identity. That is why James could write to the believers these words;"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.( James 1:2-4) Keep looking deeply into the mirror-reflection of your true identity(James 1:25) and you will experience the transforming power of His Life flowing spontaneously through you.(2 Corinthians 3:18)

1 comment:

GraceHead said...

Well put! What a humbling thought to know that you are chosen to receive such a treasure, and to look not for any clues of our true identity then to look to Jesus Christ and our spiritual union with Him.